This is my current desktop theme:
I wish I knew the artist and the name of the piece shown above. For some reason, this particular piece has captured my attention, and my imagination. I have spent some amount of time estimating various physical properties of the space ring habitat represented in the drawing.
The Fermi problem is as follows:
- Estimate from the picture the diameter of the ring, and the diameter of the tube the habitat is constructed from.
- What is the angular velocity needed to maintain a 1 gee environment?
- What is the volume of air in the habitat?
- Estimate the population.
- Estimate the mass of the habitat.
- Estimate the reaction mass needed to "spin up" the station to the angular velocity estimated above.
As in the comments below, the artist attributions are added! Thank you MJWT.